My 20 wishes for 2017 – an update
So, as we are now just over half way through 2017 I thought it would be a good opportunity to take stock of my 20 wishes for 2017 I had identified for myself at the start of January. To see how well I was doing with achieving them, and how many I was miles off accomplishing.
1. To have more self-confidence – I’ve spent too much of the last few years letting certain people make me feel like what I’m doing is never good enough, and it got to the point I believed them. This is going to change
I think that this is improving bits. It’s difficult to gauge, as I interact with fewer people these days as I’m at home most the time, so it’s hard to see as to how I feel when I’m around people.
2. To read more – I haven’t really read anything, other than blogs, since Isla was born, so I’d like to get back into reading again at some point.
Big fail! I still haven’t picked up a book at all (well none that are aimed at people over 2 years of age!!) I’m even struggling to get round to read my Gardener’s World magazines, and even keep up to date with blogs. I think the only way I would manage it is to read more in bed, but I have to admit I end up checking social media bits for blogging instead. Maybe I should try to be more proactive with this.
3. To take more time out for myself – again, since Isla has been born I haven’t taken much time out for myself. My mum painted my toe nails at Christmas, as I still had nail varnish on since we went to St.Ives at the end of September!! Things like this need to change!
This happens…sometimes. I still don’t get round to painting my toenails or anything like that. I had planned on saying that the first Wednesday of each month would be spent as “me time”. I’d drop Isla off at nursery, and then have a nice long bath, and pamper myself….but it just doesn’t happen. I either end up tidying the house as it’s a sh*t tip, or I have a few errands to run, I ended up blogging, or I’m just so knackered that I sit on my bum and catch up on TV. I guess the latter of those is vaguely having time to myself. And Chris is good when we have a weekend at home with nothing planned, he will often take Isla out for a walk or something so that I can have some time to myself. Though sometimes I just end up tidying the house during that time!!
4. Decide what I actually want to do with my life – I haven’t really had any aspirations for a while, again I think this is linked to point 1, but I’d like my life to have a bit more focus
Nope! Not even started to think about this one. Maybe by the end of the year….we shall see!
5. Bake more often – I used to bake all the time, cakes, cupcakes, biscotti, most weeks. But I haven’t baked really in ages. I’d love to get back into it.
Erm….nope, don’t think so. I have maybe done one or two things. I made a Chocolate Torte when we went round to a friend’s for dinner…but that’s pretty much it. No time!!! Although I have managed to make some Elderflower cordial and Elderflower Gin, so I’m pleased with that.
1. Post more regularly – Previously I’ve just posted as and when, sometimes if I posted twice a month I was doing well. Now that I’ve started doing linkies I’m hoping this will encourage me to post more
Yes!! As I am joining up with Living Arrows, it ensures that (so far this year) I am posting at least once a week. Some weeks I even manage to post two or three times a week…depending on how much inspiration, time, and collaborations I have!
2. Join more linkies – I’ve already started Living Arrows, and have created a list of other linkies I’ll join when I have appropriate posts. This will also hopefully allow me to discover more blogs and get me engaging in the blogging community more
Yes, and no. I link up with Living Arrows each week, and am impressed that I’ve managed to do this every week so far (just!!), and occasionally I link up with a few others (Little Leaps, What My Kid Did) but there are loads more I would love to link up with, but at the moment I just don’t have time. Maybe I should aim to join one new linky a month, even if I only link up with that one once?
3. Gain more followers over Facebook, Twitter, Bloglovin, and Instagram – Hopefully by increasing my following I’ll get more opportunities to work with some more brilliant brands. Plus it will mean I can see that more people are enjoying what I’m writing, and this isn’t all just for nothing!
Yes! Each month I’ve been logging in my diary (and now on a spreadsheet, as suggested by the lovely Donna) what my follower numbers are, and they are steadily increasing. Some are slower than others, but I think that is quite common. I need to make more of an effort to interact on them though, as there is no point having these channels if I’m not interacting!
4. Make more pitches to work with companies – I made my first successful pitch last week! I was so nervous after sending out the email, but it all paid off in the end. Here’s hoping more of my pitches will be successful!
I’ve not managed to make anymore pitches off my own back, but I have answered to a few shout-outs that have landed me some collaborations with new brands.
5. Attend a blogging event – I’ve seen over the last couple of years so many bloggers I follow talking about the events they’ve been to, whether they are just blogger meet ups, or blogging conferences, and I’ve been jealous. Previously I’ve never felt that I blogged enough to make it worth while, but I’m hoping to attend something this year. I’d love to attend BlogOn Conference in September…if I’m quick enough to get tickets!
Not yet, but I do have a ticket to BlogOn in September, which I’m really looking forward to, but I’m also really nervous about as I’m not great at meeting new people!
1. Have more families days out – so many of our weekends are spent just sorting out the chaos of our house, but I’d love to have more days out, exploring places around the area more.
We’ve not been great at this to be honest. We managed a day out a Kew Gardens a couple of months ago, but usually when we have a weekend at home we end up down at the allotment!
2. Take more family photos – I think we have about 2 or 3 photos of the three of us together, and I’d love to take more. Maybe if I try to join in the Me & Mine linky each month this will get me taking more photos!
Nope, still failing on this one!! May have managed one or two photos of the three of us, but that is about it, and I’m not even sure on the quality of these!!
3. To have a really nice family holiday – I don’t mind where, home or abroad, but just somewhere we can make some fun family memories together
Nothing planned as yet. We’re hoping to have a week away in September somewhere in the UK, but nothing confirmed yet. We had hoped to have a week away in June, but as Isla had her jabs on the Tuesday of that week, we just decided to stay at home and get loads done around the house, garden and allotment instead.
4. To see more of our wider family – We have family all over the place, and we don’t get to see them nearly as much as I’d like.
Bit of a fail so far on this one. We’ve seen my Grandad once a few weeks ago….but not managed to see any of the rest of the family. We’ve seen some of Chris’ wider family briefly a couple of times at Christenings etc, but not really for any length of time.
5. To find a really good nursery for Isla – The one we had been hoping for is fully booked for a really long time now, so we’re going to have to look further afield. I hope that we’ll be happy with our choice of nursery, and that I won’t feel guilty for putting her in nursery rather than staying home with her like I would really like to do, but can’t afford to do!
Success!!! The nursery we were really hoping for had space for Isla to do a couple of afternoons a week. It’s a fantastic nursery, and she’s really happy there and settled in well.
Hopes and Wishes
1. David Attenborough survives 2017! I don’t think this one needs any explanation!
So far, so good. But I don’t want to jinx anything
2. All my family and friends have a healthy and happy year.
Again, as far as I’m aware, so far, so good.
3. Returning to work won’t be as stressful as I fear – By the time I go back I think a lot of things will have changed there, and it makes me worry as to whether I’ll still enjoy my job as much. As usual I’m sure I’m probably making mountains out of mole hills, but I guess only time will tell! Also….really not wanting to leave Isla, even if I know the nursery we are looking at is wonderful.
Well it wasn’t stressful at all, as I didn’t return to work. In some ways it was a really difficult choice to make, as I loved my work and (most) of my clients, but in the end I handed in my notice at the end of February, as that was the best choice for me.
4. For me and Chris to have a weekend away – Chris has already turned 30, and I turn 30 in…a few weeks, eeek! So we’d love to go away somewhere nice for a weekend. This may involve smiling sweetly at some lovely people to look after Isla, but we may leave this until she’s a little bit older, and maybe the weather is a bit nicer!
Not managed this yet, still not sure how I would feel about leaving Isla for a weekend. We’ve managed to leave her with my parents for the day when we went to Gardener’s World Live, but we’ve not yet left her overnight with anyone. I’m not sure how she would be getting to sleep for anyone else, or what she would be like if she woke up in the night.
5. For the end of the world not to happen…although with Donald Trump now in power I’m not sure whether this is actually just a pipe dream!!
At the moment the world is still turning. I think most the world is still hoping to wake up from the dream of Donald Trump being president…and Theresa May being Prime Minister, but unfortunately this is the awful world we live in right now!
I don’t think I’m doing too bad, but I think there are still quite a few of my 20 wishes for 2017 that I could do some more on. Lets have a look back in another 6 months time and see how I’ve done!