10 activities to keep your toddler entertained
Now that Isla is fully mobile I am having to come up with new ways of keeping her entertained. I seriously need eyes in the back of my head these days, as she is so quick on her feet that if I turn away for a second she is climbing on something, or in a completely different room. As I mentioned in a previous post that there was a high chance of our local children’s centre being closed down at the end of the year I decided I definitely need to come up with some more ideas of how to keep Isla entertained on a daily basis.
So here are 10 activities to keep your toddler entertained as suggested by some fellow bloggers when I asked for ideas!
- Trips to the beach I so wish that we lived closer to the seaside. It would probably take us a good 2 hours to get to the nearest beach, plus I don’t think Isla’s Daddy would forgive us if we went without him. It’s definitely a great idea for a weekend activity though.
- Go to the library I can’t believe I haven’t even found our local library yet (though at this rate that will be closed down soon too!) So many have lots of fun activities for kids too.
- A trip to the park Isla loves the park, and will happily just sit on the swings for hours! We have a really small one in our village, but a big one in the next town. She’s happy at both!
- Drawing, painting and colouring I have heard great things about the Aquadoodle, so I may have to invest in one of these. Mess free painting and drawing! At the moment Isla just tries to eat the pens we have, but I will persevere! And I’ve bought paints for her to play with, so we need to break some of those out soon too.
- A busy board I’ve seen these online so many times, and would love to make her one….it’s a matter of finding the time to buy the materials and then make one, but they look so much fun!
- Water play Isla was given a water table for the garden from Nanny for her 1st birthday. She loves it, and will happily play in it no matter what the weather! Maybe I just need to put my rain coat on more often!
- Bubble machine Isla loves bubbles, and it was pretty much her first word! I’ve been thinking about buying a bubble machine for a while, especially as she has suddenly gone mad for bubbles!
Photo by Sebastian Pichler on Unsplash
- Outside play We have a really small garden, however there is a huge village green right by our house, so I can take her out to play there. Isla loves being outside, and gets really upset when it’s time to come inside!
- Sensory play I’ve seen lots of ideas for things to do…shaving foam, dyed rice or cereals with scoops etc, digging for treasure in sand, but have never got round to doing it, or had the confidence. Out in the garden I think will be the plan!
- Posting things in boxes This is another one of the ‘toys’ there is at our Children’s Centre that Isla likes to play with at times….although often she just likes it when everything is emptied out again! Just cut holes into a cardboard box, and give your little one lots of different objects/toys to post through the holes.
And if you want a few more ideas for some quick activities, then have a look over at Teddy Bears and Cardigans where Sally has written a post with some fab ideas.
So thanks to Stacey, Elizabeth, Jodie, Jo, Clare, Kati, Lisa, Alex, Katy, Emma, Emma and Catherine for all of your wonderful ideas. Hopefully they will keep my little Isla Bear entertain for at least 5 minutes!
What do you like to do to keep your little ones entertained?